Although I’ve been putting values and hues to paper for as long as I can remember, I chose to postpone any serious commitment to art in favor of more conventional means of sustaining myself – Language Arts Education, Instructional Design & Multimedia Design. Thanks to the void left when children become adults, I am rekindling my love of visual art.
As a child, I remember thinking there was something magic about taking an empty sheet of paper and making shapes and colors and values emerge. But it wasn’t enough to just mark the paper. I always had to have intent. My mind would see something I wanted to communicate and I would puzzle out how to make the paper reach my vision. It is the successful problem solving that I enjoy the most in painting - when I can stand back and determine that, yes, this piece of paper now meets my vision.
I’m drawn to compositions that have a geometric appeal for me, exhibit accidental patterns or repeated motifs. I paint what I see around me and what I find visually interesting. It may be a bird, my dog, or a bowl of eggs on my kitchen counter. It’s not really the subject itself that drive me but more the challenge of seeing if I can make the subject interesting in the confines of the paper.
I like to think my work is deliberate and clean. Perhaps that’s why I choose watercolors. They allow me to express my intentions clearly and quickly. They accept purposefulness well and discourage indecisiveness.
Education & Training:
• self taught – graphite, pastels, colored pencils, Mardi Gras float sculpting and painting
• watercolor class with Ernest Kirkland – May 2010 to present
Affiliations & Awards:
• Watercolor & Graphic Art Society
• Mobile Art Association Merit Award at MAA Fall 2011 Show
• 1st Prize, Rooster Call, Alabama Chicken & Egg Festival, Moulton, AL
Recent Performances / Publications / Expositions:
• Juried Show, Rooster Call, Alabama Chicken & Egg Festival, Moulton, AL - April 2012
• Juried Show, Bike Art at the Dairy Art Center, Boulder, CO - March 2012
• Solo Show, Art Space at Church of the Redeemer - February 2012
• "Hot Art in a Cold January", WGAS Winter Show, 2012
• Juried Show - Celebrating our Maritime History - Mobile Museum of Art - December 2012
• Solo Show - Works on Paper 1 - Edward Jones on Dauphin - December 2011
• Mobile Art Association Fall Juried Show - September 2011 - Won Merit Award
• Watercolor & Graphic Art Society Summer Show - June 2011
• Juried Show - Shared Expressions at Mobile Museum of Art - June 2011
• Juried Show - Colors of the Coast 2011
• Juried Show - Gene Fussell Wildlife Art Show 2011
• Mobile Art Association - May Show 2011
• Mobile Art Association Fall Juried Show - September 2010